Dogs really are incredible animals. They are brave and loyal, always stepping up to save and protect humans… even if it means putting themselves in harm’s way.
That was the case for one brave dog, who helped saved multiple people from a fire, even if it nearly cost her own life.
A hospice in St. Petersburg, Russia caught fire this week. As the blaze quickly spread through the building, a dog named Matilda sounded the alarm.
But she did so at the expense of her own safety: Matilda passed out from carbon monoxide inhalation inside the burning building, according to the Daily Star. While she was recovered from the hospice, she suffered severe burns.
Making things even more complicated was the fact that Matilda was pregnant with puppies.
Now Matilda is recovering at a shelter. Her carers are working hard to heal her severe burns while also caring for her pups.
”Matilda’s face, neck and abdomen were severely burned,” the shelter said in a statement, according to the Daily Star.
“She was checked over by a fertility specialist who looked at her for a very long time and carefully studied the puppies.”
Due to her body burns, Matilda will be unable to feed her puppies, but according to the shelter they are otherwise unaffected by the fire.
“They are all alive and developing well,” the shelter said. “Now it is impossible to understand the number of babies she is carrying, since she is a big dog.”
Matilda still has a difficult road ahead, and her owners are reportedly worried about how they will care for her with her injuries.
But as she’s proven, Matilda is one brave dog, and she’s taking her recovery in stride.
“[Matilda] cries and trembles in pain, but heroically endures everything,” local media reported.
We hope this heroic dog heals up soon, and that she — and her puppies — all have the great lives they deserve.
It’s another example of how brave dogs can be. Share this remarkable story!