Dogs are such incredible, smart animals. They have an amazing ability for detecting danger, even before humans do — a skill that can save lives.
That was the case recently, after one smart dog saved his family from a house fire by waking them all up in the middle of the night.
In the early hours of Monday morning, a home in Frederick County, Maryland caught fire. According to 7News, it took between 50 and 60 firefighters to put it out, taking about an hour to get it under control.
Despite the severity of the fire, everyone made it out safe — and it’s all thanks to their quick-thinking dog.
The fire occurred at about 3:45 AM, so everyone was fast asleep, unable to notice the flames. But the family dog — a Cairn Terrier named Bear — spotted it early and quickly got to work raising the alarm.
According to Sarah Campbell of Frederick County Fire and Rescue, the dog’s barking alerted the wife, who soon “noticed a large glow” in the back of the house.
“Once she opened the curtains, she noticed the back deck of the house was on fire and spreading quickly into the roof,” Campbell told Today.
The woman reportedly woke up her husband and called 911, and the couple escaped in time, along with their two dogs, before the fast-moving flames spread through the house.
Bear woke them up before the smoke alarms went off, buying them crucial escape time in a life-or-death situation.
“If it were not for Bear, who alerted the occupants to the fire, the outcome could have been much different due to the fast-moving fire,” Campbell said.
What a smart dog — Bear’s quick thinking saved his owners’ lives.
It’s amazing what dogs are capable of. Share this amazing news! 🐾❤️