Dog tied on a chain and starved, ate rocks in a desperate attempt to survive

Dog tied on a chain and starved, ate rocks in a desperate attempt to survive

The upsetting cases of animal abuse make us all wonder how on earth a human being could treat an animal in this way.

It’s a privilege to have a pet and we must care for them and treat them with respect.

But in Ohio a dog was left in the most shocking state it leaves us all wondering the state of mind of a person who could do this to an animal.

It was one of the most horrific cases animal rescuers had seen; a dog on a short chain in the back yard of a home without food and water.

The Doberman pinscher been sadistically named Lucifer and starved to near death in Butler County when he was found by rescuers after an anonymous tip off.

The pup was taken to a local animal hospital, where veterinarians discovered that he was 23 pounds underweight and had ulcers on his tongue.

Posted by Animal Friends Humane Society on Wednesday, April 24, 2019

His body was covered in open wounds but what was even more shocking is that an X-ray showed rocks in the dog’s stomach, which he had eaten in a desperate attempt to survive.

The dog, renamed Lou, caught the attention of people around the nation who wrote to the judge asking for the maximum sentence to be imposed on his owner David Neanover.

“No normal human being could look at this dog and think this is acceptable,” Sheriff Richard Jones said at the time. “Animal Friends will do everything they can to save this poor animal, but the current condition is very bad.”

Vets scrambled to save poor Lou posting a video of the emaciated dog struggling to eat from the hand of his carers.

“He lived his life on a VERY short chain and was deprived food for quite some time, so we’re sure he got to the point where he was willing to eat anything that he could get his mouth on. He is missing a chunk of his tongue,” Animal Friends Humane Society wrote in a post on their Facebook page.

Sadly, Lou was too weak and the abuse he had endured meant he died five days after he was rescued.

Judge Robert Lyons sentenced 36-year-old David Neanover, who pleaded no contest, to 180 days in prison for one account of animal cruelty and 90 days for a second, along with 180 days for domestic violence.

I hope this man is never allowed to keep a pet again. Rest in peace Lou, at least you are no longer in pain.

Please share.