After his dog died from fireworks, this man leaves a Fourth of July warning for pet owners

With the Fourth of July approaching, it’s important to remember that the holiday isn’t easy on dogs, who are often frightened by the sights and sounds of fireworks.

But as one man found out the hard way, fireworks also serve another danger to our pets—and ahead of the holiday, he’s putting out a warning for others.

In a Facebook post from June 26, James Copp described how his dog, Zoe, suddenly became ill.

“She was puking this morning and acting all odd,” he writes. James took Zoe to the hospital, who contacted the poison control center. They pumped Zoe’s stomach, and traced the cause of her poisoning: she had chewed used sparklers, consuming dangerous chemicals.

“Fireworks contain hazardous chemicals such as potassium nitrate, which is an oxidizing agent,” James explains. “They can also contain charcoal or sulfur and coloring agents, which are potentially dangerous heavy metals. When ingested, pets can develop gastrointestinal issues like vomiting, a painful abdomen, and bloody diarrhea.”

Tragically, Zoe died that afternoon. She was only one-and-a-half years old.

Facebook/James Copp

While mourning his dog, James took the opportunity to give a dire warning to other pet owners who may be around fireworks this holiday.

What makes the story even more urgent is that this isn’t a well-known hazard, nor does it usually say anything on the packaging.

“It’s really [poisonous] to animals and there are absolutely no warnings on the box about it,” James writes. “The vets even looked it up to see if there was warning on the box.”

It’s a heartbreaking story, but hopefully there is a silver lining: James’ post has been shared almost 200,000 times, and his words of wisdom might just save a few lives.

Facebook/James Copp

Share this important information with other pet owners!